[LON-CAPA-users] background image in geogebra

Jacob Bond bond13 at purdue.edu
Fri May 6 08:55:17 EDT 2016

Carl,

Happy to help.  Another issue with the current setup (I don't know if this was an issue before) is that the problems are rather slow to load.  I don't know how much it affects students, but debugging the problems becomes a pain.  Also, after you change the source for each problem, it won't reload immediately, you have to click either reset submissions, new randomization, or leave the problem and come back in.

It could be done, though I don't know that my solution is very elegant.  Keep in mind that all of my knowledge on this topic is from googling and experimenting.

I have found that it works best to just have the applet output all of its data to LON-CAPA so that LON-CAPA knows how to redraw the applet after submission.  This is somewhat complicated by the fact that one doesn't technically know what GeoGebra will name things.  However, they generally name them alphabetically, points are a,b,c,... and lines are A,B,C,...; it might be useful to use this for your problem to make it easier to keep the parts separate.

Anyhow, I think you could start by having two customresponses and setting your update listener to have both (assuming <customresponse id="11"> and id="12")

document.lonhomework.elements["HWVAL_11"].value = array_of_data
document.lonhomework.elements["HWVAL_12"].value = array_of_data

where array_of_data is basically a dump of all the coordinates of points, whether lines were drawn, etc. delimited in someway (commas, semicolons, etc.).  Note that LON-CAPA will receive this a string.  Then have the first customresponse algorithm operate on the data corresponding to the first 3 points and if there was a line (calculate slope, etc.) and the second customresponse operate on the rest.  Maybe something like
x1,y1;x2,y2;x3,y3;is_line_1_drawn:x4,y4;x5,y5;is_line_2_drawn
and have the algorithms start by splitting the string, starting with colons.

Again, this would be rather tedious, and there may be a much better way.

Jacob