[LON-CAPA-users] Access key to a course and Time Slots

Stuart Raeburn raeburn at msu.edu
Wed Jun 29 13:27:45 EDT 2016

Amos,

Yes, you could do the following:

> 1. Students can access a course and sign up for time slots to write a test
> without needing to enter an access key, but
>
> 2. once a student is signed up for a time slot, the student will need an
> (individualized) access key to enter the course.

That would work as long as each student would only need to do step 2
once in a particular course.

As LON-CAPA exists today there is no mechanism, at least via the web
GUI, to require a student to enter a valid (individualized) access key
for a particular course more than once. e.g., by expiring a valid key.

Anyway, as Domain Coordinator you would need to use:
Main Menu > Manage Access Keys > Select Course > "Control Access"
to set-up key access for the course.

I assume the strategy you describe is a way to use slots without
IP-based restrictions, and also support check-in without a proctor
password, but still ensure students are writing the test in an
approved location, i.e., the "Desired Feature" -- Is it possible to
set it up so that each student is assigned a *different* "proctor
signing-in" password -- which you described in a previous post to this
list:

http://mail.lon-capa.org/pipermail/lon-capa-users/2015-July/004900.html

In order to prevent student access to the course from other locations
from students who had logged into LON-CAPA to sign up for a slot (and
not logged out) you would need to expire user sessions.

One way to do that would be to temporarily set lonExpire to a few
minutes, by using a text editor to modify
/etc/httpd/conf/loncapa.conf, then reload the and then as Domain
Coordinator use:

Main Menu > Status of domain servers > Update Connections and Refresh
Status Information

I would recommend setting lonExpire back to the default: 86400 when done.

You should also set your domain configuration to prohibit hosting of
user sessions for users from your domain on other LON-CAPA nodes in
the network using:

Main Menu > Set domain configuration > User session hosting/offloading

Stuart Raeburn
LON-CAPA Academic Consortium