[LON-CAPA-users] Imaginary Numbers

Damien Guillaume damieng at msu.edu
Thu Feb 18 10:38:55 EST 2016

> I am still having trouble with the response portion.  Is there a way to get "numericalresponse" to handle a complex number?  If not, is the technique Justin suggested using Maxima a good route?  Or is it best to just break the response into two "numericalresponses", one for the real part and one for the imaginary part?

If you are just asking for a complex number, and you don't mind giving a
hint that there might be an imaginary part, you could also use a single
numerical response asking for 2 values (ordered), like that:

<problem>
   <startouttext/>Enter 1+2i:<endouttext/>
   <numericalresponse>
     <answergroup type="ordered">