[LON-CAPA-users] entering the same answer twice

Stuart Raeburn raeburn at msu.edu
Mon Mar 30 14:22:16 EDT 2015

Hi Doug,

> I might be mistaken but I *thought* in the past I'd seen Lon-Capa
> recognize different ways of expressing the same value as "you've
> entered that answer before" and not counting the attempt in
> numericalresponse problems.

Submitting (incorrect) answers of 0.650 and 0.65 for a
numericalresponse item results in tries being charged for both
submissions in LON-CAPA versions 2.9, 2.10, and 2.11.

Checking if the same answer was submitted for a numericalresponse item
is determined in the end_numericalresponse() routine in
/home/httpd/lib/perl/Apache/caparesponse.pm, which in turn calls the
check_for_previous() routine in /home/httpd/lib/perl/Apache/response.pm

The check involves a string comparison of the current submission with
each of the previous submissions made by the student for the same
instance of the response item.

If there is an exact match between the value of the current submission
and the value of a past submission, (and the awards also matched),
then the message: 'You have entered that answer before' will be shown
and no try will be charged.
(Exception: survey items, or items where the random seed has changed,
i.e., randomizetry parameter in effect).

That string comparison part of the implementation has not changed from
response.pm rev. 1.32 (8/3/2001) and caparesponse.pm rev. 1.38
(8/3/2001).

Stuart Raeburn
LON-CAPA Academic Consortium