[LON-CAPA-users] a user's last login IP address

Lucas, Mark lucasm at ohio.edu
Fri Aug 21 22:40:39 EDT 2015

Amos,

The Student Recent Activity lists IP addresses, but that obviously gives you a huge amount of
data and cannot be filtered by date.

If you have root access, there is an activity log file under the user’s directory that lists the
time, IP address, machine logged into, etc… for every user access of the system. This tends
to record things done outside a course, like logging in, being moved between machines,
selecting roles(?), and then printouts (in a course). It’s typically a fairly small file and is plain
text. The only issue for me is that you have to convert the time stamp to human-readable form.
I have a small perl script to do this.

Later,
Mark