[LON-CAPA-users] New Content/Problem Editor - Input needed NOW

Damien Guillaume damieng at msu.edu
Mon Oct 20 10:05:16 EDT 2014

>> ...A cleaned up and well documented language for LON-CAPA resources.
>
> Damien Guillaume <damieng at msu.edu> writes:
>> ...the transformation into XML, with a reference XML schema
>
> I share the concerns with having to convert code, but am looking forward
> to this.  I suspect it will make authoring in editors like Emacs easier.

Yes, you could use Emacs's nxml-mode with a schema. It provides
schema-based completion and validation. You will need to convert the WXS
schema to RelaxNG Compact, because nxml-mode only understands RNC (there
are tools helping with the conversion, see
http://stackoverflow.com/q/917337/438970). However, if you edit the
files directly, you will have to be careful about turning special
characters like "<" into character entities or use CDATA sections
(otherwise it it not XML). This is something we will try to hide in the
future online text editor.

Since I am also writing a schema for LC2, you could try it right now:
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/gerdkortemeyer/loncapa/master/conversion/old_loncapa.xsd
Just be aware that the XML syntax (like CDATA sections) is not correctly
understood by current LON-CAPA.

Damien