[LON-CAPA-users] New Content/Problem Editor - Input needed NOW

Harding, Gene L glhardin at purdue.edu
Fri Oct 10 09:32:46 EDT 2014

Hi Gerd, Damien, et al,

I generally agree with most of the comments I have seen yesterday and today.  I also use both the colorful and text editors.  I find the text editor especially useful for creating multiple similar blocks of material, such as multi-part problems, but I go back and forth between the two editors often.

In the color editor, more context-sensitive help would be a great improvement.  A better help system in general would be really useful.  I am not a "power user" of LON-CAPA, and only recently figured out how to properly structure a response to require a certain number of significant figures.  Sometime later I finally figured out that the reason it was not working for decimal problems was that I needed to change the "int_range" parameter to "dec_range".  I only figured that out by guessing; there is no context help button by that parameter in the template.  For some reason I cannot access the general help at all right now (I just get a white screen), but that's a different issue.  I realize that I am not a power user, but I might suggest MATLAB as a model for a pretty good help system.  It's not perfect, but after some digging I can usually find what I need.  Even when the general help system here was working, I often could not find the help I needed.

One of Damien's comments concerns me:  ... with some elements removed, and some structural changes.  Backward compatibility is very important to me.  I experienced a nightmare when Blackboard moved from Vista to Learn, which is what prompted me to switch to LON-CAPA.  The switch to LC was painful, but allowed me to generally preserve years of content that I had created.  If I have to go through something like that again, I may stop using online Learning Management Systems altogether.

Gene L. Harding, P.E.
Associate Professor of ECET
Purdue University
glhardin at purdue.edu