[LON-CAPA-users] Does formula response support inequalities?

Itay Furman itayf at nospammail.net
Sat Mar 29 11:37:36 EDT 2014

(Originally sent with the wrong sender address.  My apologies in
advance if double-posting has occurred.)

Hi,

Consider a certain physical in which stable equilibrium exists if
          2*k*l^2 - mgL > 0,
where k,l,m,g, and L, are parameters.

I would like to challenge my students with a problem for which the
answer would be the above symbolic inequality.

However, as I understand I _cannot_ use formula response for that purpose; is this correct? or did I miss something?

[
I believe I could use formula response to challenge the students by
reformulating the question like this
"A stable equilibrium would exist if the potential energy, mgL, be
smaller than:"
and match the students' response against the expression "2*k*l^2".
But I think that asking them to provide the full inequality is preferred.
]

Thanks in advance.
Itay Furman, Ph.D.
--