[LON-CAPA-users] questions about our first exam - partial marks

Mills, Douglas G dmills at illinois.edu
Mon Feb 3 15:05:15 EST 2014

I don’t know for sure if Gerd is ALWAYS right but upon closer examination
he IS right about this approach. We have not used it much but on looking
at it more closely now I see that using a variable as the value of the
weight for a part in a problem does not carry over into the grading
context and that particular part ends up being worth zero points whether
you have it “full credit” correct or “partial credit” correct. We missed
this in the couple places we’ve used it because at 0 points it doesn’t
show up in the possible total either, so students can get perfect scores ―
this part of the problem just doesn’t count.  Thank you Gerd for raising
the issue.

The approach we use most of the time, which DOES work is with
customresponse problems. We are not using the number of tries as a factor
in either case, so I don’t know (and now hesitate to venture!) whether or
not that’s a possibility with customresponse, but my guess would be that
it would be possible...

Doug

Douglas Mills
Director of Instructional Technologies