[LON-CAPA-users] cleaning up submissions for numerical response problems

Bob Gonzales rgonzal at binghamton.edu
Thu Dec 11 13:11:39 EST 2014

Hi,

I'd like to look at the code that Loncapa uses to clean up submissions in
numerical response problems.  I'm referring to clean-up actions like
converting exponents from '1x10^1' to '1e1' and removing leading '+' signs.

We have some lab exercises in which we use the student's entered data  in
some numerical response problems.  I'm getting the previously submitted
data  via the &EXT() function.

Every once in a while a student will submit their data with something  like
a leading '+' sign, which Loncapa cleans up, and the data is accepted as
correct.  So, it would be good for me to do the same clean up before I use
the submission.

I've looked around in the system and I see some cleanup in the
'implicit_multiplication' routine in 'caparesponse.pm'  but I'm not sure
I'm even in the right place.

Any help or comments regarding any submission handling would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob Gonzales
Chemistry Dept
Binghamton University