[LON-CAPA-users] instructor-specific loss of copy/paste in course editor

Stuart Raeburn raeburn at msu.edu
Tue Dec 2 15:11:04 EST 2014

Hi Doug,

Looking at the LON-CAPA code, I see that the clipboard in the Course
Editor is generated by the  &print_paste_buffer() routine in
/home/httpd/lib/perl/Apache/londocs.pm

print_paste_buffer() will display no output if the session environment
variable: $env{'docs.markedcopies'} is either undefined or empty.

If you have command line access to the server hosting the user's
session you can display the contents of the session environment via:

/home/httpd/perl/debug/dump_db.pl -u /home/httpd/lonIDs/<session>.id

where <session> is the unique session ID (starts with user's username).

Look for an entry for the key: docs.markedcopies (e.g. pipe output to:
'grep docs.markedcopies').  The corresponding value for that key
should be a list of comma-separated numbers.

Log-out will remove the user's session file in /home/httpd/lonIDs.

(Note: there is also a way for a user to view the contents of his/her
own session file using the web browser, but that needs to be
configured by the Domain Coordinator).

You might also ask the instructor to log-in (or switch server) to one
of the MSU servers, and see if the Course Editor clipboard is also
absent for that instructor in a course, after copying one or more
items in the Course Editor in a session hosted at a server in the msu
domain.

Stuart Raeburn
LON-CAPA Academic Consortium