[LON-CAPA-users] Forcing students to submit valid expressions for formula responses.

Stuart Raeburn raeburn at msu.edu
Wed Oct 30 23:33:25 EDT 2013

Hi,

> Or can someone finds similarities of the hosts 'mtal1' and 'scll1'
> that may cause this bug :-/  ?

Yes, that is a good observation.

Both mtal1 and scl1 are running a Linux distro for which the distro's
standard repos provide maxima rev. 5.23

The majority of other LON-CAPA servers in the production cluster use
distros for which the maxima version is 5.20.

In the case of a syntax error, maxima 5.23 outputs "incorrect syntax"
instead of "Incorrect syntax" as it did in previous versions.

The result of this change in case is that LON-CAPA's lonmaxima daemon
rev. 1.40 included with LON-CAPA 2.10.1, and earlier, will not respond
with a "BAD_FORMULA" response (which causes display of: "Unable to
understand formula" as feedback to the student), but instead will
timeout with (a much less helpful) display of: "An internal error
occurred while processing your answer. Please try again later."

Anyway LON-CAPA servers with Linux distros with maxima 5.23 and later
(i.e., CentOS/Scientific Linux/RHEL 6, SLES 10/11, Fedora 14 and
later, SuSE 11.1 and later) should have someone with root access to
the server update /home/httpd/perl/lonmaxima to rev. 1.41 as follows:

wget -O /home/httpd/perl/lonmaxima
'http://source.loncapa.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/~checkout~/loncom/lonmaxima?rev=1.41;content-type=text%2Fplain'

/etc/init.d/loncontrol restart

As restarting the LON-CAPA daemons impacts users, this action should
be scheduled for a time of limited user activity.

Note: lonmaxima rev. 1.42 (which also includes the fix for bug 6653 to
address occurrences of "code ran too long" a different origin -- this
time seen only sporadically, and also on Linux distros besides
CentOS/Scientific Linux/RHEL 6 -- which Justin had remarked on in an
earlier post in this thread is included in the forthcoming LON-CAPA
2.11.0.

Stuart Raeburn
LON-CAPA Academic Consortium