[LON-CAPA-users] CourseWeaver? Feedback needed!

P. David Flammer pflammer at mines.edu
Mon Jan 14 11:48:35 EST 2013

I would say that my biggest pet peeve in loncapa is the slowness of data
reads/writes. It looks like you're going to rebuild the database (to a
non-SQL database), so that appears like it will get fixed. Other than that,
I think it's quite effective in pretty much every way (even though the UI
might not look fancy).

Even though the spreadsheet is on the discard list, I think it's quite
functional, other than the fact that it can take up to a minute to generate
a student's spreadsheet for a large course. I'm assuming this has to do with
how the data is stored, and once the database is updated, it wouldn't be as
bad. I think it would be a mistake to take away spreadsheet-type
functionality in place of an unprogrammable gradebook, unless you mean to
add some of the spreadsheet functionality into the universal gradebook (like
being able to weight groups of folders differently in a final grade). My
guess is that everyone is exporting loncapa grades out to some spreadsheet
to calculate final grades (unless they use the spreadsheet in spite of the
performance issue). I also think if it had better performance, and possibly
better documentation that was easily accessible to explain how to use it,
more people would use the spreadsheet.

-David