[LON-CAPA-users] Displaying grades for non-Lon-Capa content

McNeilly, Jennifer R jrmcneil at illinois.edu
Wed Sep 26 23:42:35 EDT 2012

Hello all,

As a relatively new user of Lon-Capa, I apologize in advance if this is a basic question that I should have been able to figure out on my own.  I've read through the Course Coordinator Manual and the FAQ online but am still having some trouble :)

We would like to be able to post grades within Lon-Capa for assignments that are completed outside of the system (for instance grades on written homework assignments and exams) but we do not necessarily want the Lon-Capa system to compute the overall course grades for each student.  We are maintaining a separate complete gradebook through excel and that is where we plan to do the actual grade computations.  However, we'd like to post the scores on individual assignments in Lon-Capa so the students can see them and make sure that what we've recorded matches what they received back as a score on the assignments/exams.  We have other options for posting grades for students on our campus (a Blackboard based CMS or a departmental run gradebook), but we were hoping to keep everything in one place to make things simpler for the students.

I understand how to use the "Score Upload Form" to enter a set of scores and have successfully done that.  However, I would like to know if there is a way to change the way these scores are displayed to the students.  I've experimented with the different course configuration settings for grades (standard, external, spreadsheet) but none seem to display the scores just as we'd like.  Essentially I would like the student to see a list of each assignment/assessment with their score along with the total possible points for that assignment/assessment. We do not want the system to sum these scores or show the overall sum of possible points because different categories have different weights (exams count for a certain percentage, written homework for a different percentage, etc).  In both the standard and spreadsheet grading formats, the total points are displayed.  In the external grading format, the total points aren't displayed but scores on the individual assignments/assessments are also not displayed (just the parts completed).

Is there a way to "turn off" the Max total points possible that shows up in the Standard grading setting?  If not, is there a way to do what we want with the spreadsheet setting?  If anyone has experience using the spreadsheet setting, I would love to hear any quick advice/suggestions you might have.

Thanks a lot!
Jennifer