[LON-CAPA-users] score upload and user ids

Stuart Raeburn raeburn at msu.edu
Fri Oct 19 17:03:42 EDT 2012

Ray,

This post is probably more of interest to the lon-capa-admin list than
the lon-capa-users list, so people who only subscribe to the latter
may wish to stop reading at this point.

>           Instead of finding two usernames with the same student ID,
>  what we have actually found is that the dump of ids.db showed a
> *different* student ID associated with the particular username

Yes, I would only expect a single username for a given ID in ids.db

> So, either there are two IDs in that db and only one is shown in the
>  dump, or else there is a second place where IDs are stored?

Within LON-CAPA IDs are stored in:

(a) the environment.db file for each user
(b) the classlist.db file for each course
(c) the ids.db file for each library server in the domain
(d) the allusers table in the loncapa database in MySQL.

Of these (a) and (d) will contain the same information; (a) should be
considered definitive.

Because the ids.db GDBM db file found on each library server in a
domain is a simple key => value database file (where each key is
unique, and is a student/employee ID), only one username can be stored
at any time for a given ID.  Use of ids.db was implemented in
lonnet.pm rev 1.70 (November 2000) to provide a way to do a quick
look-up of the username, given a student/employee ID.

However, there is a deficiency in this approach, as you have
encountered, in cases where different users are assigned the same ID
in a particular domain.

In particular if I create a new LON-CAPA user in my domain as:
username | ID
frasersi | 123456

and then later I (or someone else) adds another new user as:

username | ID
burnabym | 123456

the current entry in ids.db would be
123456 => burnabym

while the user management interface (which reads from either
classlist.db, or environment.db, depending on context - course or
domain) would still report the ID for frasersi as: 123456

You can check which usernames share the same ID in a domain by using
the MySQL queries I described in my previous post, e.g.,

select username from allusers where id='a12345678';

to determine which users share the id: a12345678

or:

select username,id, count(id) as num from allusers group by id order
by num desc;

to determine which IDs in your domain are currently not unique.

*********************************
General comments on best practice
*********************************

Given that IDs may be used as a user's identifier for some operations
in LON-CAPA (e.g., grading bubblesheets or uploading scores from a csv
file containing IDs and points as column data), it is desirable that
IDs are unique for users in a domain (as is so for usernames).

LON-CAPA, by default, does not force use of unique IDs in a domain,
but as Domain Coordinator you can configure things to make it
difficult for Course Coordinators and/or Authors to assign non-unique
IDs to users they add to their courses or add as co-authors to their
authoring spaces.

You may wish to assign new IDs for any users with non-unique IDs, and
then modify the Domain Configuration to disallow setting of IDs when
Course Coordinators and/or authors create or modify users.

If you do that you will likely also want to implement a mechanism to
keep user information up to date using the nightly Autoupdate, and
allow automatic setting of IDs when new users are added.  Both of
these rely on the ability to access your institution's centralized
information systems, and also require customization of localenroll.pm,
as discussed in the Domain Coordination manual.

Stuart Raeburn
LON-CAPA Academic Consortium