[LON-CAPA-users] A course with no Content Close Date for a Sample Test?

Stuart Raeburn raeburn at msu.edu
Sun Jun 3 09:54:50 EDT 2012

Hi,

> I'm assuming implicitly that
>
> (a) a test must have a Problem Due Date,
> (b) a test won't be graded until the Problem Due Date is passed, and
> (c) no student will be able to see the test results until after the
> Problem Due Date.

If you use the Time-Limit parameter, then a specific due date is not
required.  Once the student has clicked the "Show Resource" button to
start the timer, thereafter LON-CAPA will internally calculate the
"due date" for that particular student to be the "Student Access Time"
(i.e., time when the student started the timer) + time interval (set
for the resource or folder).

The student will receive feedback on correctness immediately on
submission, and the points earned for items in the folder containing
the timed quiz will be displayed in the student's view of grades, as
long as the problemstatus parammeter is set to "Yes" or "Yes, and show
correct answer if they exceed the maximum number of tries."  However,
the resource will cease to be viewable by the student once the time
allowed has elapsed.  The resource will only become viewable again if
an answer date is set.

It is possible for the student to see the correct answers up until to
the 70 min time limit for the quiz for an item the student answers
correctly, and also for any item answered incorrectly, if the maximum
number of tries has been used for the item, if problemstatus is set to
"Yes, and show correct answer if they exceed the maximum number of
tries."

How many tries were you considering allowing students for each
question in the Sample Math Placement Test?

> 3. Students will then self-create Lon Capa accounts on our server, and
> self-register into the course.

What type of usernames will these be, i.e., usernames authenticated by
a central service (e.g., Kerberos, LDAP etc.), or e-mail addresses
which require completion of account creation via a token sent to the
e-mail address provided by the student?

Stuart Raeburn
MSU LON-CAPA group