[LON-CAPA-users] RSS feed

Stuart Raeburn raeburn at msu.edu
Tue Jul 3 11:52:59 EDT 2012

Hi,

> I can attach a calendar event to the course rss feed, but I can't
> for the life
> of me figure out where in the course coordinator's interface I
> figure out where
> the link is to the course RSS feed.

Links to feeds which belong to a course instead of a user are
displayed in the "RSS Feeds and Blogs" box on the syllabus page.  In
edit mode (i.e., for Course Coordinators) a link: "New RSS Feed or
Blog" is included to allow additional feeds to be added.

I have filed a bug (#6603) to request an additional access point to
course feeds, since the current location is non-intuitive, and will
not be available if a Course Coordinator has chosen to substitute the
default syllabus template for the course with a URL pointing at a
different file.

For the record, here is a summary of the types of RSS feeds available,
and when they will be created and/or appended to automatically.

RSS Feeds fall into three types:

(a) Feeds you own which are not associated with a course
(b) Feeds you own which are associated with a course
(c) Feeds which belong to a course

(a) All users in a domain can create their own feeds which are not
associated with a course -- type (a) -- unless a Domain Coordinator
has disabled Blogs via:
Main Menu -> Set domain configuration -> Display (User blogs, personal
information pages, portfolios checked).

(b) Feeds in type (b) will be created (and appended to) when the "Add
to my public course blog" checkbox is checked when posting to a
discussion within a particular course.  This type of feed will
aggregate any posts you make to any discussions in that course,
whenever you have checked the box.

Note: the "blog checkbox" will not be shown if a Course Coordinator
has defined an exam block which is currently active, and "blogs" is
one of the collaborative features set to be blocked.

A feed in type (c) will be created (or appended to) when the "Include
in course RSS newsfeed" is checked when a Course Coordinator adds a
new Course Announcement.

The "Edit blogs, RSS feeds, and podcasts" link in the Main Menu (and
the "Feeds" item in the "Personal" drop down menu in the forthcoming
2.11 release) will display a list of feeds you own -- i.e., feeds of
type (a) and (b).

Other LON-CAPA users can display this list of your feeds by displaying
your personal information page:

(The feeds are in the "RSS Feeds and Blogs" box).

(c) A link to "New RSS Feed or Blog" of type (c) is displayed on the
syllabus page for the course, in edit mode. A link to a course's
syllabus page is included with each role for the course shown on the
roles page.

Stuart Raeburn
LON-CAPA Academic Consortium