[LON-CAPA-users] How many digits after colon in the Random Seed?

Mills, Douglas G dmills at illinois.edu
Tue Feb 14 11:33:50 EST 2012

HI All,

I’m using the $external::randomseed to keep some data I’m storing unique to each user/each problem. However, I ran into problems when pulling the last 9 digits of that value as my unique identifier because sometimes the second portion of the seed for the students is shorter than that so I end up with a semicolon in the last 9 characters, and that’s a problem...  So I’m wondering where the nature of the randomseed might be documented in terms of how many characters I can be assured occur after the colon of the seed. Thank you!

Doug

Douglas Mills
Director of Instructional Technologies
Department of Chemistry