[LON-CAPA-users] Any way around this?

Lucas, Mark lucasm at ohio.edu
Wed Aug 22 16:53:50 EDT 2012

Perry,
I'm sure Gerd will have some other options but here are a couple possibilities to consider.
You can use the postanswerdate tag to show something
after the answer date. Here's a simple example:

<problem>
<startouttext />
Enter the question text here. Type in an essay below.
<endouttext />

<essayresponse>
    <textfield></textfield>
</essayresponse>
	<postanswerdate><startouttext /><br/>This is the correct answer.<endouttext /></postanswerdate>

</problem>

There is an interesting option with the stringresponse as well. We have a type of stringresponse problem
where we use a textfield instead of a textbox (so it looks like an essay question), we grade it such that
they get credit for anything except white space, but we don't show them their status and we don't have
the answer/score available until a couple days later. That way we can go back and change grades if
a student took advantage of the situation, but otherwise it is automatically scored.

Here is a sample:
<problem>
<parameter name="problemstatus" id="12" default="no" type="string_yesno" description="Show Problem Status" />
<part id="1" display="Questions">
<startouttext />
Please enter here any questions you have about the material from lecture or the book from the
last week. We will try to address some
 questions in class and others out of class. If we have not managed to get around to answering
your question, and it is still an issue, please follow up with an e-mail to us!
<endouttext />
<startouttext />
Your last submission was:
&EXT('user.resource.resource.0.ans1.submission')
<endouttext />
<postanswerdate>
<startouttext />
(Computer's Answer not actually shown)
<endouttext />
</postanswerdate>
<stringresponse answer="/\S/" id="ans1" type="re">
<textfield>
</textfield>
</stringresponse>
</part>