[LON-CAPA-users] Section specific parameter settings when cloning

Stuart Raeburn lon-capa-users@mail.lon-capa.org
Sat, 22 Jan 2011 20:48:11 -0500

Lars,

> This is strange. I'm using the 2.1 RC2 version of Lon-capa. I just
> cloned a course from one a year old one, and during the cloning I
> entered a student into an existing section (in the original course)
> anticipating that the section would be re-created in the cloned course
> and the student put in it. Neither the section, not the student turned
> up to be in the cloned version of the course.

Rosters (and user roles) in the old course are *not* cloned from an
old course to a new one, and never have been. As Ray stated,
section-specific parameters are cloned.

However, LON-CAPA will not actually report the existence of a section
in the new course (e.g., in the user management interface) until there
are user roles (expired, active or future) in the section, and since
user roles are not cloned, no sections will be listed the course (at
least via User Management, Chart etc.) until you have added roles in
the sections in the new course, once the course creation process is
complete, and you have entered the *new* course as a Course
Coordinator, and used "Manage Course Users" to add users.

The "Course/Community Request" interface added in 2.9 can be used to
include users (and section assignments) in a course request.  However,
that is better suited for the addition of a small number of course
personnel (TAs, instructors, Course Coordinators etc.) as part of the
course creation process.   Course Requests may or may not include
cloning.  Even if cloning is included in the course request there is
no cloning of users from the old (cloned) course to the new.

Stuart Raeburn
MSU LON-CAPA group