[LON-CAPA-users] help overriding tolerance

Todd Ruskell lon-capa-users@mail.lon-capa.org
Mon, 14 Feb 2011 19:45:46 -0700

--0016e6d59eac579dc0049c4929a1

Jim,

You might be running into a caching issue--that little message which crops
up at most of the appropriate times indicating that it can take "up to 10
minutes" for parameters to take effect for all students.  Have you checked
the parameters outside of this time frame?

Often what I do in situations like this is post to the discussion board,
something like, "This problems uses xxx for the resistivity of copper, not
the value give in class."  That way (a) the students know about it, and (b)
know why their calculated answer appears to differ more than usual from the
"correct" answer provided by LON-CAPA.

Todd

On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 7:05 PM, James Mueller <mueller@pitt.edu> wrote:

> I have a problem assign to my class.  It uses a value for the resistivity
> of copper that differs from the value given in class by 2%.  Perhaps it is
> using the value at 25 deg C rather than 20.  The numerical tolerance for the
> problem appears to be set at 1%, so my students will be marked wrong unless
> they know the value the problem is using.  So I go to the page to modify
> parameter settings and set the tolerance to 5% for this problem in my
> course.  But then I check the range of allowed answers for some students and
> it still looks like 1%.  Why does my setting of the tolerance not override
> the default setting of the problem?  What do I need to do to fix it.
>
> -Jim

--0016e6d59eac579dc0049c4929a1

Jim,<br><br>You might be running into a caching issue--that little message =
which crops up at most of the appropriate times indicating that it can take=
 &quot;up to 10 minutes&quot; for parameters to take effect for all student=
s.=A0 Have you checked the parameters outside of this time frame?<br>
, something like, &quot;This problems uses xxx for the resistivity of coppe=
r, not the value give in class.&quot;=A0 That way (a) the students know abo=
ut it, and (b) know why their calculated answer appears to differ more than=
 usual from the &quot;correct&quot; answer provided by LON-CAPA.<br>
 James Mueller <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:mueller@pitt.edu">mu=
tyle=3D"margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204=
); padding-left: 1ex;">
I have a problem assign to my class. =A0It uses a value for the resistivity=
 of copper that differs from the value given in class by 2%. =A0Perhaps it =
is using the value at 25 deg C rather than 20. =A0The numerical tolerance f=
or the problem appears to be set at 1%, so my students will be marked wrong=
 unless they know the value the problem is using. =A0So I go to the page to=
 modify parameter settings and set the tolerance to 5% for this problem in =
my course. =A0But then I check the range of allowed answers for some studen=
ts and it still looks like 1%. =A0Why does my setting of the tolerance not =
override the default setting of the problem? =A0What do I need to do to fix=
 it.<br>

-Jim<br>