[LON-CAPA-users] Editing resource

Stuart Raeburn lon-capa-users@mail.lon-capa.org
Wed, 07 Oct 2009 13:01:17 -0400

For the shortcut "Edit" (to edit a resource in Construction Space for
which you are author or co-author) to be displayed the following
condition must be met:

Your current LON-CAPA session must be hosted on the home library
server for the author of the resource.

In your case your session was on an access server (a2.educog.com) so
the "Edit" item was not displayed.  This is also why the "select"
button in your roles screen for the author role is replaced with a
switch server link.

When you login to monroe.loncapa.net the log-in page for the educog
library server will be displayed.  However, if the current "User Load"
is 100% on that server, after successful authentication your session
will be offloaded to one of the educog access servers.  The User Load
is displayed on a server's log-in page.

If you are offloaded, and you know you will most likely want to edit a
resource, you could use switch server from the roles screen to switch
over to the library server when you first log-in.  Once the session is
switched to educog.com you could then return to the roles screen and
select the CC role for the course you wish to work in.  Thereafter for
that session the "Edit" link would be available in the inline menu for
resources in the course for which you are author/co-author.   Of
course this does further load the server reporting 100% load, but
authors/co-authors are only a small fraction of the LON-CAPA users in
the educog domain.

A future change in LON-CAPA that could be considered would be to
convert the "Edit" link to point at switchserver instead of directly
at the resource in cases where the user's session is not on the home
server of the resource author.

Stuart Raeburn
MSU LON-CAPA group