[LON-CAPA-users] units in submission bug?

William Paddock lon-capa-users@mail.lon-capa.org
Tue, 06 Jan 2009 16:00:56 -0500

One of my students just discovered that if you type a letter before the number in a numerical response, any required units will be ignored.

For example...
Correct answer is 34.5 g

34.5 returns "units required"

34.5 kg returns "incorrect"

and so on... as expected... however...

s34.5 returns correct.

And I've tried it in my own versions of the problems several times.  I've tried this on several questions, with several different letters, and different required units, and seems to work.  The numerical part of the answer must be the same as the value CAPA has as the correct answer, but a student wouldn't need to know the correct units.  Is this a bug?  Has anyone else observed this?

Will Paddock
East Lansing High School