[LON-CAPA-users] Using Sequence Editor

Gerd Kortemeyer lon-capa-users@mail.lon-capa.org
Wed, 4 Feb 2009 09:26:23 -0500

Hi,

On Feb 3, 2009, at 8:27 PM, Robert_Brewington@er.monroe.edu wrote:

> For example, what can you put in the condition fields? Can you put
> various statements, or is this only tokens which will be wrapped in
> parenthesis for an if statement? Can I set or change variables here?

The condition mechanism is indeed under-documented. Generally, you
would put aliases on each one of the problems that you need for your
conditions. Then you access the internal state of those problems
(number of tries, solved/not solved, etc) with &EXT-calls in a normal
Perl condition.

Here's an example:

http://mail.lon-capa.org/pipermail/lon-capa-users/2004-December/001414.html

> The straighten or condense command got my map got all tangled up,
> with Start near the bottom, the next piece in the middle, and the
> last piece at the top. Finish was nicely on the bottom:) Is there
> some way to re-arrange the resources in a better order? Can I adjust
> the layout so the links don't wander all over the page?

Well, the layout of the map does not matter except for the author -
the students won't get to see this.

> I am thinking I may be better off just writing a regular problem
> with <block> statements for control. What are the benefits of using
> the Sequence?

You can have different branches with already existing problems from
the library.

> What I want to do is place 4 or 5 questions in a sequence. The
> questions loop until the student gets some percentage correct (for
> example, 3 in a row or maybe 3 out of the last 4). I have a good
> idea of what the links should look like, and what the conditions
> want to be, I just don't seem to be able to draw anything with any
> control.

If those are new questions that you are writing now, a "normal"
multipart-problem with <block> will be easier.

BTW, that the Resource Assembly Tool turned out to be the "RAT" was a
nice accident. Took me forever to write this thing (yes, all my
fault). It was needed for an initial functional requirement of LON-
CAPA, which in the end turned out to be irrelevant - one of those
episodes in the dark history of our project. I am still intrigued by
what this *could* do, but alas, there is never enough time. Maybe one
of these days I'll get tenure, and THEN I CAN PROGRAM AGAIN. YEAH!!!!!

- Gerd.