[LON-CAPA-users] Re: multiple response boxes

Lon H Mitchell lon-capa-users@mail.lon-capa.org
Tue, 07 Oct 2008 14:54:48 -0400

--------------030507030109060705040004

Thanks for your reply Stefan.

> You could use the function &cas() to call maxima within a perl script
> block. This allows to access the computer algebra system in custom
> response. Please visit the online help for details.

In this case, is it possible to recreate the capabilities of other types
of response boxes (for example, formula response boxes) without too much
effort?  For instance, in my original example, is there an easy way to
use &cas() to see if the &cas-calculated characteristic polynomial is
equivalent to the student's response, just as a formula response box
could (and with as many optional ways of doing so) if we knew an answer
beforehand?

> At Wolfenbuettel University we created some of these kind of matrix
> problems in the way you described. Yes, multiple response boxes are
> useful for this. Peter Riegler and Susanne Bellmer may wish to add more
> comments.

Your examples online have been my inspiration so far, and I am grateful
that you share your source code.

> By the way, is your brother called Capa?  ;-)
> (I hope you don't take this too seriously...)

No, his name is Jeff.  I have thought about changing my last name however...

Thanks Again,

Lon Mitchell

--------------030507030109060705040004

begin:vcard
fn:Lon Mitchell
n:Mitchell;Lon
org:Virginia Commonwealth University;Mathematics & Applied Mathematics
adr;dom:;;;Richmond;VA;23229
email;internet:lmitchell2@vcu.edu
title:Assistant Professor
tel;work:804-828-5974