[LON-CAPA-users] Math Coding Question

Mark Lucas lon-capa-users@mail.lon-capa.org
Mon, 18 Aug 2008 09:01:27 -0400

Hi,

I've got a couple of high school teachers who are diving into coding
math problems, and we're starting to look for advice.

The first question is this: what's the best way to force the students to
enter a fraction? For example, he wants 3/4 rather than 0.75.
   Two numericalresponse boxes with a / in between?
    String response?

Second: Does anybody have coding guidelines they use for math problems?
Anybody want to write a 'white paper' on this and contribute it to the
community? 8)
 * What's the experience with the different display modes: tth, jsmath,
mimetex - what are advantages and disadvantages? Should they be
hardcoded?

 * What are some issues with math problems that come up frequently?

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Mark

--
Mark Lucas                                      email: lucasm@ohiou.edu
252D Clippinger Lab                             phone: (740)597-2984