[LON-CAPA-users] Using Advanced editor for sequences

Gerd Kortemeyer lon-capa-users@mail.lon-capa.org
Sun, 13 Apr 2008 18:33:25 -0400

Hi,

On Apr 13, 2008, at 4:36 PM, Robert_Brewington@er.monroe.edu wrote:

> I am looking for examples of sequences using branching logic within
> a sequence using the Advanced Sequence editor. For example, if
> problem 1 has more than 2 tries, go to problem 2, otherwise go to
> problem 3.
>
> I have managed to add a condition above a resource problem, but I
> don't know what any of the jargon means:
>  - Recommendation if true
>  - Blocking this link if false
>  - Blocking other links if true

Actually, there is an open bug that all but "Blocking this link if
false" is defunct.

> I was under the impression you could put various chunks of script
> code in there, but this sounds like I get one boolean expression.

Yes, only one boolean ... but that's enough to do what you want above.

> If there is documentation somewhere describing how to use this
> editor, please point me to it! The help file just shows adding a
> resource to the map, basically the same as I can do in the simple
> editor. I don't see any mention of coding the conditions.

You would make use of the &EXT()-function. Others on this list have
done this, and someone might already have an example of your scenario
above.

> Also - how do you test these sequences? If I go in as Course
> Coordinator and try the problem, I cannot reset the randomization/
> clear my answer and retry the problem. Once I have answered a
> problem, it seems to be set in stone, even if I delete the sequence
> from the course and re-add it as a new resource. How do I clear my
> answer?

In Problem Grades you can clear the status of the problem.

> Can I test the sequence from within the editor (as author for
> example)?

Nope.

> It seems that I have to publish the sequence, delete the previous
> version from the course, and re-add the new version. Even then, it
> seems to still use the old version - yes, I did the course re-
> initialization button.

No, simply re-publishing the sequence and then re-initializing the
course should do the trick. You can also re-initialize your role on
the Roles screen, that does the same thing.

- Gerd.