[LON-CAPA-users] default resource names in course; reset?

Gerd Kortemeyer lon-capa-users@mail.lon-capa.org
Mon, 7 Apr 2008 08:07:01 -0400

Hi,

On Apr 7, 2008, at 6:53 AM, Jay Sullivan wrote:
> I have noticed that when I import a problem into a course that the
> name used for the problem is also used for all subsequent imports
> of that problem. For example, I might import a problem into a
> course early in the semester and rename it in the Course Docs as
> "Q1.problem". If I use that problem again later in the course it
> automatically is assigned the name "Q1.problem".
>
> Is there some way to turn this off? I would like the default to be
> the name of the problem as assigned in the metada of the source code.

Sorry, there is currently no good way to do this. I have been
bothered by the same "feature" at times, while at other times I love it.

Currently, LON-CAPA retrieves the name from the course's title cache.
We could easily switch this off completely and always get the title
from metadata (but that will be bothersome in other situations). A
button to clear the cache will confuse users (what is that?!?), and
the cache will slowly fill up again as you navigate the course or
perform other functions.

Not sure how to best solve this.

- Gerd.