[LON-CAPA-users] Online Exam Questions

Jay Sullivan lon-capa-users@mail.lon-capa.org
Fri, 13 Jul 2007 20:10:05 -0400

------=_Part_4261_5327769.1184371805358

One other thing :)

3) Make sure you don't have any problems which have the "ordered" parameter
in effect. If it's in effect, it will basically let the student know if they
got a part correct before they can move on. DAMHIKT

Best,
Jay

On 7/13/07, Jay Sullivan <jmsloncapa@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've been using proctored quizzing and testing for a couple of semesters
> now. I'm no expert just chiming in on a couple of things that I learned as
> part of this evolving process:
>
> 1) Unless you want them to get hints you probably want to increase the
> number of tries before hints appears to a large value.
>
> 2) You should give them at least two tries on every problem. The thinking
> is that if a student makes a mistake entering what they think the answer is,
> they have a chance to correct it without needing intervention from the CC. I
> have problem status turned off too so they don't know if it's right or wrong
> until later.**
>
> I'm very interested in hearing responses to your question about
> restricting access to other LONCAPA resources during the exam. This is the
> most cumbersome part I have to deal with deploying an online quiz or exam.
> It would be nice if there were a parameter to either explicitly restrict all
> other resources or have chronological control over hiding/unhiding folders,
> etc.
>
> Just my $10^-2
> Jay
>
> **One interesting thing about this is that in student view the color
> scheme in "Navigate Contents" for problems which have been answered and
> those answered using up 2 tries is different. It took me some time to figure
> out what was going on here. You may get students asking about this.
>

> On 7/13/07, Todd Ruskell <truskell@mines.edu> wrote:
> >
> > We're gearing up for online exams, and I have a few questions.  First,
> > what we've done so far:
> >
> > 1) I know I can restrict access by IP address, and we have, I think, set
> > that up properly.
> >
> > 2) We have turned off discussion for the exam resources, by using the
> > "end discussion time", and "hide closed discussion" parameters.
> >
> > 3) We've had our IT people set up completely locked-down computer logins
> > so students can't fire up unwanted programs, etc.
> >
> > 4) We've established a time limit on the resources in the folder.
> >
> > 5) We've turned off "show problem status"
> >
> > 6) The folder is currently hidden, and we will unhide it just before the
> > exam starts.
> >
> > Now the questions:
> > 1) Right now, we are planning to hide all resources except the online
> > exam just before the exam starts.  Is there an easier way to restrict
> > student's access to all the other already existing resources in a course
> >
> > during an exam?
> >
> > 2) We have a couple of conceptual problems that ask several questions,
> > each of which must be answered via a drop-down box.  As a regular
> > problem, these are "all or nothing", in that credit is only given if the
> >
> > answers to all questions are correct.  As a printed bubble test, each
> > question is a separate problem, which is graded correct/incorrect
> > individually.  As an online exam, however, it appears that the awarding
> [...]

One other thing :)<br><br>3) Make sure you don&#39;t have any problems which have the &quot;ordered&quot; parameter in effect. If it&#39;s in effect, it will basically let the student know if they got a part correct before they can move on. DAMHIKT
I&#39;ve been using proctored quizzing and testing for a couple of semesters now. I&#39;m no expert just chiming in on a couple of things that I learned as part of this evolving process:<br><br>1) Unless you want them to get hints you probably want to increase the number of tries before hints appears to a large value.
truskell@mines.edu</a>&gt; wrote:</span><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;">

of points goes back to the &quot;regular problem&quot; mode.&nbsp;&nbsp;I&#39;m sure I can<br>program the spreadsheet to make those problems award points individually<br>for each question, but I&#39;m wondering if there&#39;s an easier way.