[LON-CAPA-users] Online Exam Questions

Todd Ruskell lon-capa-users@mail.lon-capa.org
Fri, 13 Jul 2007 13:58:05 -0600

We're gearing up for online exams, and I have a few questions.  First,
what we've done so far:

1) I know I can restrict access by IP address, and we have, I think, set
that up properly.

2) We have turned off discussion for the exam resources, by using the
"end discussion time", and "hide closed discussion" parameters.

3) We've had our IT people set up completely locked-down computer logins
so students can't fire up unwanted programs, etc.

4) We've established a time limit on the resources in the folder.

5) We've turned off "show problem status"

6) The folder is currently hidden, and we will unhide it just before the
exam starts.

Now the questions:
1) Right now, we are planning to hide all resources except the online
exam just before the exam starts.  Is there an easier way to restrict
student's access to all the other already existing resources in a course
during an exam?

2) We have a couple of conceptual problems that ask several questions,
each of which must be answered via a drop-down box.  As a regular
problem, these are "all or nothing", in that credit is only given if the
answers to all questions are correct.  As a printed bubble test, each
question is a separate problem, which is graded correct/incorrect
individually.  As an online exam, however, it appears that the awarding
of points goes back to the "regular problem" mode.  I'm sure I can
program the spreadsheet to make those problems award points individually
for each question, but I'm wondering if there's an easier way.

3) Are there any other exam security kinds of things I might want to
think about?

Thanks,

Todd

--
Dr. Todd Ruskell
Senior Lecturer, Department of Physics       Office:  Meyer Hall 326