[LON-CAPA-users] long division symbol

Todd Ruskell lon-capa-users@mail.lon-capa.org
Wed, 11 Jul 2007 16:51:37 -0600

Jay,

In Preferences, you can change how equations are displayed:  "convert to
images", "jsMath", or "TeXtoHTML".  I got the prettiest results with
"convert to images", but Robley seems to like jsMath.  I generally
prefer jsMath, as well, but for me, on this laptop, I didn't think it
was quite as good.

Robley's code shows how you can override a user's individual settings
and force a piece of math code to be rendered with a specific engine.
This can be nice, if you know your code doesn't work at all well with an
engine, but it can also cause problems if a user isn't well set up to
use the rendering you choose.  However, I suspect this is becoming less
and less of a problem.

I seem to remember another thread on Math rendering earlier this spring.
  You may want to look that up, too.

On this Linux Laptop, using Firefox 2.0.0.4, I got something resembling
the desired output with all three renderings.  TeXtoHTML is always ugly,
but it looked as close as I generally expect it to.  As I don't use
Windows unless forced to, I can't comment on IE.

Todd