[LON-CAPA-users] Random sequence of questions

John Merrill lon-capa-users@mail.lon-capa.org
Wed, 10 Jan 2007 16:24:52 -0500

> !- cannot use this with bubble sheet exams

Drat. Scrambled order is the main use I would have for the function.
The lon-capa bubble sheet exams are of great interest, but the nature
of our typical questions are such that we hesitate to use some of the
individualizations we typically love for homework, as they introduce
different difficulties. Better for us will be to scramble the order of
questions. We are NOT interested in random selection of questions,
since, again, this introduces different difficulties. As it stands now,
we would have to use all the same options for every student (to avoid
the change in difficulty) and have only the order of options change
with exam version. Utility of individualization is reduced because we
write a lot of "none of the above" and "a and b, but not c are
correct", which are position specific. To further complicate things,
when doing this the old fashioned way (non L-C) we typically keep all
questions of a certain content area together, since we have evidence
that there are position effects on performance. For example, we might
cover enzymes, photosynthesis, and respiration on a given midterm. We
would scramble within topic, but not between. So I'm keeping in
reserve, for when lon-capa allows scrambled order, a complaint that it
doesn't allow me to specify within groups only!

John