[LON-CAPA-users] Random sequence of questions

Lars Jensen lon-capa-users@mail.lon-capa.org
Tue, 09 Jan 2007 17:09:43 -0800

Hi John,

Take a look at this problem - it gives you one way of doing it. With
minor modifications, it does most if not all of what you need.

Lars.

<problem>
<script type="loncapa/perl">
$a = &random(4,20,1);
@month31 = ("January", "March", "May", "July", "August", "October",
"December");
@month30 = ("April", "June", "September", "November");
@week = ("Monday", "Tuesday", "Wednesday", "Thursday", "Friday",
"Saturday", "Sunday");
$tag1 = &random(0,6,1);
$tag2 = &random(0,3,1);
$tag3 = &random(0,6,1);
@quest = ("What is the probability that two people have a birthday in
$month31[$tag1]?",
  	  "What is the probability that two people born in $month30[$tag2]
have a birthday in the first half of the month?",
	  "What is the probability that two people have a birthday on the same
day of the same month?",
	  "What is the probability that two people have a birthday on the
${a}'th of any month?",
	  "What is the probability that two people were born on a $week[$tag3]?");
@ans = ((31/365)**2, (15/30)**2, (1/365), (12/365)**2, (1/7)**2);

$seed = &random(1,1000000,10);
@squest = &random_permutation($seed,@quest);
@sans = &random_permutation($seed,@ans);
</script>
<startouttext />Consider two people being randomly selected.  (For
simplicity, ignore leap years.)
<part id="13">
(a) $squest[0] <br />
answer:
<endouttext />
<formularesponse samples="x@1" answer="$sans[0]" id="11">
     <responseparam name="tol" default=".0003" type="tolerance"
description="Numerical Tolerance" />
     <textline size="10" />
</formularesponse></part>
<startouttext />
<part id="14">
(b)$squest[1] <br />
answer:
<endouttext /><formularesponse samples="x@1" answer="$sans[1]" id="12">
     <responseparam name="tol" default=".0003" type="tolerance"
description="Numerical Tolerance" />
     <textline size="10" />
</formularesponse></part>
</problem>