[LON-CAPA-users] Happy New Year from LON-CAPA

Gerd Kortemeyer lon-capa-users@mail.lon-capa.org
Tue, 2 Jan 2007 09:54:30 -0500

Hi Lars,

On Jan 2, 2007, at 3:07 AM, Lars Jensen wrote:

> Your last entry on your goals for 2007 caught my attention, and I
> was wondering how difficult it is to install the maxima scripts,
> and whether any detailed documentation is available?

It's not ready yet for prime-time, sorry. The problem examples you
see at

  http://www.lon-capa.org/cas.html

are working on two machines at the moment: my workstation and a
machine at the Fachhochschule Wolfenbuettel in Germany, but with
different code on the LON-CAPA end of things. I had it working on my
laptop, too, but after I updated the operating system, it stopped
working. Maxima comes in different versions and with different Lisp
implementations, and there are different versions of the library we
use to talk to it; apparently the exact way how it's installed
influences how it needs to be talked to - we couldn't get the same
code to work on both machines and lost the third.

Also, we are still debugging the LON-CAPA code itself, and have not
yet completely finalized the XML structure.

Maxima is likely going to be available in 2.4 (or, if we have no 2.4,
in 3.0), but at the moment, it should not be used yet for production.

I am cc'ing our German collaborators.

- Gerd.