[LON-CAPA-users] Running problem statistics

Mon, 16 Apr 2007 15:21:30 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Robley,

> It has been suggested that I run complete statistics on a course at the end
> in order to generate usage data for the problems in the course.  I have a
> couple of questions about the process:
>
> 1.  When you start the process, is it necessary to leave that window open
> while the statistics are being generated (apparently about a 30 minute
> process)?

Yep.

> 2.  Can you go to a role in another course to run those statistics while the
> first set is being run?

Nope.

> 3.  Do you need to stay logged in?

Yep.

>  4.  Suppose you run statistics in the middle of a course, then
> again at the end.  Lets say on a particular problem only half the
> students had worked it when you ran the first time, and all students
> had worked it when you ran the second time.  Does the second
> statistics run only cover those student tries made since the last
> statistics run? Or are the previous tries counted a second time on
> the second run? Or is a complete run made the second time which
> replaces the first run?

When stats are generated they are generated for what you asked for,
you can limit them to a time wndow if you want, or they coan cover the
entire period of interaction with them.

I think though you are asking about the storage of this information
into the dynamic metadata of a problem, in that case the description
'a complete run made the second time which replaces the first run'
is an accurate depiction of what occurs.

We have discussed writing a script to do this in a batch process
internal to the system so that the problem metadata gets updated more
regularly with this info, but haven't done that yet.

--
guy@albertelli.com   0-7-0-9-27,137