[LON-CAPA-users] Display weight of problem to students

Fri, 3 Nov 2006 12:40:28 -0500 (EST)

Hi Jay,

> (1) Is there some way to display the weight of each part of a problem to the
> students so that they know for example parts 1 and 2 are worth 5 points,
> whereas part 3 is worth 15 points?
>
> Obviously, one could code it directly in the problem but if there is an
> easier way that would be great.

Yes the .sty files where meant for this.  Unfotunately it hasn't been
well documented.

There are some users out there using these to do what you want.

One example would be:
/res/sfu/batchelo/chem121/problems/lecture/prob.sty

Possibly there are others out there using this.

The basic idea is you aare defining that where the <part> or <problem>
tag occur you want them to be rendered as
'<problem> some extra stuff like the weight is <displayweight />'

Note that improperly built .sty files can break a course, so I suggest
building one for a test course and then switching it on in the real
course once testing shows it to work well.

> (2) How can one dynamically change the weight of a problem depending on
> student responses?

You can't directly do this.

> For example, suppose I wanted to decrease the weight of a
> problem according to the number of tries it took to answer? Obviously I can
> do this post processing the grade sheet, but I'm wondering if there is a way
> to change the weight algorithmically.

You could use the SPRS to do this if you wanted to to write a script
that takes in the weight and whatever other information you'd like to
use (tries, time marked correct before the problem closed) and
generate a final 'points' value.

--
guy@albertelli.com   0-7-1-6-27,137