[LON-CAPA-users] Setting viewing date

Wed, 31 May 2006 09:50:44 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Robert,

> I saw somewhere that one can set dates in LonCapa so that
>
> 1) a page of problems opens up on a certain date.<br>
>
> 2) when the student submits the page, the page is no longer visible to the student until
>
> 3) another date, when they can now see the page again.
>
> The starting date I have OK, but how do I accomplish 2 &amp; 3? I seem
> to have a plethora of available dates, but none sounding quite like
> what I want.

All access to viewing a resource is time based either with an explicit
time (Due Date) or a relative time (Time-Limit [interval]). Once one
of these dates is passed students can then only see the resource again
after the answer date passes.

There is no mechanism to restrict access to viewing a resource based on
their interaction with that resource.

(There is a maxtries param which will restrict the number of answers
they can submit but they are allowed to view the resource until
duedate/interval end occurs.)

Note that there is also a setting for whether or not students can
immeadiately see the grading of the resource.

I'm guess you are trying to recreate an exam like situation on line.

We have generally found that setting it so
- setting a time-limit of the exam length
- setting a smallish number of tries (say 5 or so)
- setting 'Show Problem Status' to no

Recreates the exam like feel (students can submit an answer and
possibly change their mind on that answer up until the time-limit
expires and then grading of those answers can be sent out some time in
the future.)

Will this not work for you?

Thinking about how things are implemented it wouldn't be difficult to
make a change such that after tries are exhausted the problem goes
back into closed mode until the answer date...
--
guy@albertelli.com   0-7-1-8-27,137