[LON-CAPA-users] any limit on the id numbers for responses?

Fri, 9 Jun 2006 15:15:45 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Robert,

> What is the purpose of the id? I assumed it was used to track the
> stats for problems, but that doesn't seem to be the case.<br>

It is used in the storage of the data when a studetn interacts with
the problem.

This way if you need to move thigns around, (Swithc the order of two
resposne or 2 parts) or otehrwise change a problem, the association
between the data and the problem will stay.

> Does the system automatically assign ids to problems/parts if one is
> not provided?

Yes.

> a) what is the pattern,

starts at 11, increments by 1, assigns in order that id requiring tags
occur in the file.

> b) why would we assign our own ids?

Many reasons
- stylistic (you don't like ours, you want to give things pretty
  names)
- programmatic (you are going to use &EXT() and need to know what the id
  is for a part or response)
- you are mucking with a problem and want to make sure that users
  don't loose info.

> What is the meaning of id=0 versus id=0_11? I see both of these
>  around. Is 0_11 a part within problem 0?<br>

id 0 is the <problem>

0_11 is likely the response with id 11, inside of a <problem>

Yes,
as well as <import>

--
guy@albertelli.com   0-7-1-8-27,137