[LON-CAPA-users] Retreiving Name of Course Document in a problem

Thu, 13 Jul 2006 09:32:03 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Brew,

> It could be I am going about this the wrong way (no, seriously!), as in
> there could be a better way.
>
> What I want to do is:
>
> Have one page sequence defined:   .../MyPage.page
>
> Then import that page fifty times into Course Documents, renamed to Sheet1,
>           Sheet 2, etc:
>           CourseDocs/.../Sheet 1    (MyPage.page)
>           CourseDocs/.../Sheet 2    (MyPage.page)
>           CourseDocs/.../Sheet 3    (MyPage.page)
>
> The problem is, all of the Sheets have the same randomization. A given
> student sees the 50 sheets with identical information (different students
> properly see different information). I want to change the randomization
> within each sheet.
>
> My brute force thought had been to retrieve the sheet name, retrieve the
> number from the end of the name (Sheet 2 implies "2"), and change the usual
> seed &external::randomseed by this amount.

This won't work.

A map can be included only once inside of a course. Each additional
instance of that map will act the same as the rest (for instance when
student gets problem 1 right on one of them, problem 1 on all of them
will be marked as correct.)

It's a technical limitation. Sorry.

> I think I can copy MyPage.page 50 times, import each of the 50, and things
> will work OK. I haven't tried that yet - seems like a pain from a
> maintenance standpoint.

This will work. And is the recommended way of handling this.

> Is there a better way to tweak the randomization for each instance of a
> sequence in Course Docs?

Unfortunately it's more than just the randomization that needs
tweaking as the storage of the data and the effect of the paramaeters
etc, are based off the uniqueness of the maps.

--
guy@albertelli.com   0-7-1-7-27,137