[LON-CAPA-users] Getting a message to appear with the "correct" statement.

Robley Light lon-capa-users@mail.lon-capa.org
Thu, 13 Apr 2006 17:39:17 -0400

Thanks, Guy.  The <solved> tag works fine, though I've worked out another
way to do what I wanted in a particular problem.  The idea was having them
solve problems to get densities of metals, then tell them what the metal was
after they got it correct, and bring the printed "correct" page to lab
because they need the metal densities for a class experiment.

However the problem covered only a few metals picked randomly from a list so
I finally decided to just put in a table (as a pdf file) for them to be able
to print to bring to class, and I added a part to the problem that used this
pdf file to identify the metals whose density they found.

Comments, criticisms, suggestions appreciated.  Check it out at
res/fsu/GeneralChemLib/Lab/Density/Metals.problem

In a related problem, though, densities of liquids, I did put in the
"solved" statements identifying the liquids.  See
res/fsu/GeneralChemLib/Lab/Density/Liquids.problem

>From this problem, I see that what I had wanted to do wouldn't work well
anyway.  Try answering one or more of the parts of this problem, then print
it.  Notice that the "answer" does not appear on the printed version as it
does on the web page.  So I would have to put in
<solved>Correct: Liquid A is acetone, density 0.792 g/mL</solved>
to get the information to print, and then the density would show twice on
the web view--okay but not very elegant.

Robley

PS Where would I learn more about the perl conditionals that one can use
with the <block> tag?

Robley J. Light                         Professor of Chemistry and
Biochemistry
Department of Chemistry          Phone:   (850) 644-3844
   and Biochemistry                   Email:  rlight@chem.fsu.edu
Florida State University             Fax:      (850) 644-8281
Tallahassee, FL 32306-4390    Home Page:
http://www.chem.fsu.edu/editors/rlight