[LON-CAPA-users] LON-CAPA and Moodle

Lars Jensen lon-capa-users@mail.lon-capa.org
Thu, 27 Oct 2005 09:02:15 -0700

Hi Ed,

Well, I'm not quite sure what you want to hear about, but in comparing
moodle and lon-capa, I'd say that some advantages of moodle are:

1) More intuitive to use - both for students and instructor.
It is easy to add modules and resources in moodle, and they are easy to
find and access for students. This is because everything in moodle is
centered around *one* web page.

2) The forum module (and chat module) in moodle is very simple to use
for students. Students get email notification of every post in the
class, and can reply to this directly from their email program. Posts
are nicely threaded. And there is a search function that quickly find
posts containing the search words.

3) New class activity is clearly posted and visible to every class member.

The strengths of lon-capa I value the most are:

1) Superb homework engine, which includes the ability of class members
to post questions/comments to each problem right under the problem.

2) Lots of parameters to tweak provides great flexibility when setting
up assignments (I'm referring to the PARM page here).

Moodle has a gradebook that probably functions a little better than that
of lon-capa: "Simple grading" in lon-capa works OK, but it is just that.
The spreadsheet is so complicated that it is prohibitive.

Hope this helps. If you have any specific questions, I'd be happy ta
answer them also.

Lars.