[LON-CAPA-users] Question regarding LON-CAPA structure

Fri, 14 Oct 2005 15:03:47 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Donnell,

> > No parameter is completely hardcoded.
>
> That's very good to hear... heh
>
> When I was trying to figure out how to do this, I looked up this
> particular FAQ:
> http://help.loncapa.org/cgi-bin/fom?_highlightWords=tries&file=338
>
> I followed its instructions, using the XML tag:
> <parameter description="Maximum Number of Tries" type="int_pos"
> default="15" name="matrices">
>
> I used this for each part in each of the 8 .problems...    16 parts in
> all

Then this sets a default for the problem.

You likely don't really want to do this for this problem, as it makes
reuse of this problem more annyoing. (I.E. next year you think 10
tries is a better default, now you need to by hand override all of
these deafults.)

More often people find it easiest to leave the problem empty. And then
set a single course wide default for the number of tries.

And if need be override it in the cases where you need it to change.

The problem default is most useful for a problem which doesn't lend it
self to large numbe of tries (say a radiobutton with only 2 foils,
you'd like want that to have maxtreis default of 1)

> We did change the answer to what it was suppose to be though, and when
> we were looking at the .problem we noticed that it was now showing the
> correct answer.  We talked a little about that too, but then
> collectively shrugged.  That's why I was asking about Lon-Capa's
> structure (and I originally posted in the Dev list)

Well I'm glad it worked out eventually, you do need to go through the
whole of the publication cycle to see the effect of the change in a
course.

--
guy@albertelli.com   0-7-2-1-27,137