[LON-CAPA-users] Question regarding LON-CAPA structure
GARRETT, DONNELL MAZON
Fri, 14 Oct 2005 14:42:42 -0400
Sorry about the mix up
> No parameter is completely hardcoded.
That's very good to hear... heh
When I was trying to figure out how to do this, I looked up this
I followed its instructions, using the XML tag:
<parameter description="Maximum Number of Tries" type="int_pos"
I used this for each part in each of the 8 .problems... 16 parts in
> Go to the .page, click on the PPRM button that is above the .problem
> in question.
>If you have parts to the problem you will want to click on the 'Show
> all parts' check box and click 'Update Parameter Display'
>Scroll down to the 'Maximum Number of Tries' row
>Click on the link in the last yellow/brown column. (The one for 'Any
> User, in course, for Resource')
>Change it to whatever you want.
Awesome... I just tried this... worked like a charm
The way I tried to fix this problem before was through the "helper" >
problem parameters page. That didn't work exactly right, for some
> What makes you suspect that? I can't think of any reason that that
> would be true.
> Unless you have done something odd (like putting version numbers in
> the resource urls in the .page), or explictly done something in
> DOCS to lock things to a specfic version, Lon-CAPA always uses the
> latest version of a .problem when showing it.
Eh.. that was more of a guess we came up with to explain why Lon-Capa
was doing what it was doing. The problem with the .problem was that I
asked a question to solve for one thing and then solved for something
different. We thought that maybe there was some weird encapsulation
going on because, to test, I just changed the text. We found it odd
that when we tried to load up the .page again that it showed the
original text (and not with the TESTTESTTESTTESTTES we put in there to
see if it would come up). I dunno.. we probably did something wrong.
We did change the answer to what it was suppose to be though, and when
we were looking at the .problem we noticed that it was now showing the
correct answer. We talked a little about that too, but then
collectively shrugged. That's why I was asking about Lon-Capa's
structure (and I originally posted in the Dev list)
[mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org] On Behalf Of Guy
Sent: Friday, October 14, 2005 12:53 PM
Subject: Re: [LON-CAPA-dev] Question regarding LON-CAPA structure
BTW, -dev is meant for develpment of the internals of lon-capa, -users
is meant for questions of using the system and creating/mainting
> However, on one of the .problems, I made a mistake and asked a
> question than the answer I solved for. Also, I hardcoded in a limit
> 15 tries per problem.
No parameter is completely hardcoded. Anything in a .problem is just a
sugestion for that resource.
> I took the 8 .problems and made a .page
> And then I assigned .page.
> This is my question:
> Is there anyway to fix this?
> I've already extended the deadline, but is there anyway to increase
> limit of 15 tries,
Go to the .page, click on the PPRM button that is above the .problem
If you have parts to the problem you will want to click on the 'Show
all parts' check box and click 'Update Parameter Display'
Scroll down to the 'Maximum Number of Tries' row
Click on the link in the last yellow/bron column. (The one for 'Any
User, in course, for Resource')
Change it to whatever you want.
> and perhaps even fix the .problem that kinda messed
> I tried to fix the .problem, and then republish it, but I suspect that
> when I made the .page it encapsulated the .problems into the .page
What makes you suspect that? I can't think of any reason that that
would be true.
Unless you have done something odd (like putting version numbers in
the resource urls in the .page), or explictly done something in
DOCS to lock things to a specfic version, Lon-CAPA always uses the
latest version of a .problem when showing it.
> and I
> can't change the .page without losing all of the data that students
> already put in. Is this true?
You can modify the .page in certain ways. The information is stored to
a combination of the .page's URL and the .problem's URL and the
internal id number of the instance of that resource.
Thus you can add and remove resources without it affecting any of the
other resources in the .page.
But if you change what resource URL is associated with a specific
resource ID in a sequence then yes the data will no longer be
available for that particular resource.
ALso if you create a whole new .page and put that one in the course
and remove the previous one, then also it will look like the users
will need to start over.
(The data is still there, and if you restore the proper elments back
into the course, the students will have done things that they normally
LON-CAPA-dev mailing list