[LON-CAPA-users] Question regarding LON-CAPA structure

GARRETT, DONNELL MAZON lon-capa-users@mail.lon-capa.org
Fri, 14 Oct 2005 14:42:42 -0400

Hi
Sorry about the mix up

> No parameter is completely hardcoded.

That's very good to hear... heh

When I was trying to figure out how to do this, I looked up this
particular FAQ:
http://help.loncapa.org/cgi-bin/fom?_highlightWords=tries&file=338

I followed its instructions, using the XML tag:
<parameter description="Maximum Number of Tries" type="int_pos"
default="15" name="matrices">

I used this for each part in each of the 8 .problems...    16 parts in
all

> Go to the .page, click on the PPRM button that is above the .problem
> in question.
>If you have parts to the problem you will want to click on the 'Show
> all parts' check box and click 'Update Parameter Display'
>Scroll down to the 'Maximum Number of Tries' row
>Click on the link in the last yellow/brown column. (The one for 'Any
> User, in course, for Resource')
>Change it to whatever you want.

Awesome... I just tried this... worked like a charm
The way I tried to fix this problem before was through the "helper" >
problem parameters page.  That didn't work exactly right, for some
reason.

> What makes you suspect that? I can't think of any reason that that
> would be true.

> Unless you have done something odd (like putting version numbers in
> the resource urls in the .page), or explictly done something in
> DOCS to lock things to a specfic version, Lon-CAPA always uses the
> latest version of a .problem when showing it.

Eh.. that was more of a guess we came up with to explain why Lon-Capa
was doing what it was doing.  The problem with the .problem was that I
asked a question to solve for one thing and then solved for something
different.  We thought that maybe there was some weird encapsulation
going on because, to test, I just changed the text.  We found it odd
that when we tried to load up the .page again that it showed the
original text (and not with the TESTTESTTESTTESTTES we put in there to
see if it would come up). I dunno.. we probably did something wrong.

We did change the answer to what it was suppose to be though, and when
we were looking at the .problem we noticed that it was now showing the
correct answer.  We talked a little about that too, but then
collectively shrugged.  That's why I was asking about Lon-Capa's
structure (and I originally posted in the Dev list)

Thanks!

Donnell