[LON-CAPA-users] Wipe out all discussions

Lars Jensen lon-capa-users@mail.lon-capa.org
Fri, 27 May 2005 14:22:36 -0700

Hi Guy,

Guy Albertelli II wrote:
> Hi Lars,
>

>>Is there a quick way to wipe out all discussions in a course. (This is
>>useful when re-cycling a course for next semester.).
>

> We generally suggest that one use the 'clone course' feature to create
> a new course that is setup like an old course. (Clone copies over all
> of the included materials, and parameters etc.)
>

> Overall this is a significantly better idea then trying to 'clean ut'
> and exisiting course and trying to use it again.

I see the advantages of setting up a clone, but there are also
advantages in using the same course: For example I post the same
messages (with minor modification) each semester, and I set the same
parameters in PARM. If I re-use the same course, it is very easy to
re-post the same messages since they are easily accessible, and it is
easy to remember which PARM settings to set. Also from the admin point
of view, there is less support needed if instructors can re-use:
Instructors can handle editing changes, but are uncomfortable with "new
entries" in the PARM area.

For this reason, it would be nice tyo have a button to wipe out all
prior discussion.

Lars.