[LON-CAPA-users] loncapa forgetting submissions?

Mon, 28 Mar 2005 10:43:04 -0500 (EST)

Hi David,

> I have a student who is saying that they have submitted some answers to
> problems on LONCAPA from home, but they are showing up as never being
> tried.  They are claiming that they are getting green boxes to questions
> when doing the homework at home, and then when they come to school, the
> questions are as if they haven't ever been tried.

Lon-CAPA does things internally like this:

1. the student submits the webpage
2. Lon-CAPA parses the homwework problem and decides whether they got
    it right or wrong
3. Lon-CAPA then send the grade information back to their homeserver to
    be stored in their student record.
4. Lon-CAPA then _asks_ their homeserver what the status on the
    homework problem is.
5. Lon-CAPA then reparses the homework problem and uses the just
    aquired data from their homewserver to render the problem
6. Lon-CAPA sends the new webpage out

step 1 and 6 involves users computer to server communication

steps 2,3,4,5 involve at worst server to server communication, and in
your case with only 1 server, the server talking to itself.

So I can't see any possible way for the student to see a green box,
and then for them to have absolutely nothing logged in their
submission record.

and if something has gone awry with steps 2-5, it would affect all
traffic on that server not just a user here or there.

So without more data (is his accesses logged in
/var/log/httpd/access_log? How about in trackstudent (Go to Classlist,
click on the student, (you should be on the aboutme page for that
student) click on the 'View recent activity by this student' link))
--
guy@albertelli.com  LON-CAPA Developer  0-7-2-9-