[LON-CAPA-users] connection issue re library server

H. K. Ng lon-capa-users@mail.lon-capa.org
Wed, 02 Mar 2005 09:29:35 -0500

Ray,

Did you get any resolution for your question? I had similar problems from
high school students who said they cannot even get to the login page for
certain servers. As you can imagine this is hard to trace as to the cause
but as far as I can determine there two common denominators.
1. The ISP providers are Sprint (DSL) and Comcast. From comments by someone
who is knowledgeable with these providers, they just throw out connections
if it reaches max capacity. Again, this is something I have no way of
verifying.

2. There is a suggestion that with recent version of Windows XP, users set
the firewall at a certain level that prevents them from connecting to the
lon-capa servers. Now why this is the case is not clear to me except that
the lon-capa login does contain password encryption routine - as far as I
could tell.

-hk