[LON-CAPA-users] Fwd: [WDL] Steal This Poem

Helen Keefe lon-capa-users@mail.lon-capa.org
Wed, 20 Jul 2005 09:38:57 -0400

--Apple-Mail-1--321867231

Hi,

I thought this poem might be adopted by lon-capa.

Helen
Begin forwarded message:

> From: Susan Pritchard <suzzie_uk@YAHOO.COM>
> Date: July 20, 2005 5:33:52 AM EDT
> To: WRITING-AND-THE-DIGITAL-LIFE@JISCMAIL.AC.UK
> Subject: Re: [WDL] Cory Doctorow: Download this book! /Steal This Poem
>

>> from
>>
>> <http://www.indymedia.org.uk/en/regions/oxford/2004/10/298739.html>
>>
>> Steal This Poem v1.2
>>
>> This poem is copyleft,
>> you are free to distribute it, and diffuse it
>> dismantle it, and abuse it
>> reproduce it, and improve it
>> and use it
>> for your own ends
>> and with your own ending
>>

>> This is an open source poem
>> Entering the public domain
>> Here's the source code,
>> the rest remains
>> for you to shape, stretch and bend
>> add some salt and pepper if you want
>> share it out amongst your friends
>>

>> Because I didn't write this poem, I molded it.
>> picked up the lines out of a skip and refolded it
>> as I was walking on over here,
>> rescued leftover ideas,
>> on their way to landfill,
>> found screwed up fragments
>> and found them a use.
>>

>> Because, think about it
>> I can't tell you anything truly new.
>> There can only be fe! w more new ideas to be thought through.
>> So should we treat them as rare commodities, high value oddities?
>> Probe the arctic reserves and other sensitive ecologies
>> for new ideas buried deep beneath the permafrost?
>> hunt them out of the cultures till the cultures are lost?
>> then suffocate them with patent protection?
>> No! we should re use and recycle them
>> Pile our public spaces high with ideas beyond anyone's imagining..
>>

>> So I steal a riff here and a rhyme there,
>> a verse here and a line there
>> pass them on around the circle,
>> roll the words, add a joke
>> here go on.. have a toke,
>> does it get you high?
>> This poem is indebted to Abbie Hoffman, Gil Scott Heron, Jim Thomas
>> and Sarah Jones,
>> This poem is indebted to all the words I've read and the voices I've
>> known
>> This poem is a composite of intellect, yours and mine.
>> This poem is RIPPED OFF! every single time
>>

>> Because intellectual property is theft
>> and pira! cy our only defence left against the thought police.
>> when no thought is new
>> its just rewired, refined, remastered and reproduced
>> The revolution will be plagiarised
>> The revolution will not happen if our ideas are corporatised.
>> So STEAL THIS POEM
>> Take it and use it
>> for your own ends
>> and with your own ending
>>
>> This poem is copyleft,
>> All rights are reversed
>>

>> Claire Fauset Hammer n Tongue
>> Homepage: <http://www.hammerandtongue.org/>

> and the following text in the body of the message: SIGNOFF
> WRITING-AND-THE-DIGITAL-LIFE
Helen Keefe
ITR Project Coordinator
Michigan State University
Laboratory for Instructional Technology in Education
112 North Kedzie Labs
East Lansing, MI  48824
517-432-9867
517-432-5653 (fax)
helen@lon-capa.org
http://www.lon-capa.org

--Apple-Mail-1--321867231

Hi,

I thought this poem might be adopted by lon-capa.

Helen

Begin forwarded message:

</color></bold>Susan Pritchard <<suzzie_uk@YAHOO.COM>

20, 2005 5:33:52 AM EDT

</color></bold>WRITING-AND-THE-DIGITAL-LIFE@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

Cory Doctorow: Download this book! /Steal This Poem

</color></bold>WRITING-AND-THE-DIGITAL-LIFE@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

<excerpt>from

[...]

Claire Fauset <bold>Hammer n Tongue</bold>

<bold>Homepage:</bold>

</excerpt>

http://www.dome2.com

http://www.madelaine.dome2.com

http://groups.msn.com/ThePleasureDomeahomeforwriters **********  To
alter your subscription settings, log on to Subscriber's Corner at
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/writing-and-the-digital-life.html  To
and the following text in the body of the message: SIGNOFF
WRITING-AND-THE-DIGITAL-LIFE

</excerpt>Helen Keefe