[LON-CAPA-users] help with making exams

Ray Batchelor lon-capa-users@mail.lon-capa.org
Fri, 25 Feb 2005 23:49:29 -0800

On Friday 25 February 2005 18:08, Guy Albertelli II wrote:
> Hi,

> >             I interpreted this second question to mean that you want the
> > questions to be numbered.  In the version of loncapa which I am currently
> > using, this does not appear to happen UNLESS I have set "Question Type
> > [Part: 0] (type)" to be "exam" in PARM.
>
> I wold argue that this doesn't number the problems, but it rather
> prints out 1 or more  bubble sheet lines for each response, any
> numbers then. In all cases but the most simple there is no
> correspondance between the numbers and the questions.

My english language programming failed to translate the above...

... but the important thing is that the thing that matters does get numbered
by default when the questions set to exam type and printed.

> The official suggestion, is if you want numbers for your problems,
> retitle them with numbers, in DOCS and use a style sheet to add titles
> to your problems.

If this is really a printed exam we are talking about here, then numbering the
questions in the DOCs title could produce some confusion about which
number(s) correspond(s) to the correct "record" on the bubble sheet.  I'm
sure you will correct me, but I don't expect to have to use this (and haven't
yet).
Maybe all my cases correspond to the "simplest", but I don't think so.

> I believe there are some good example style sheets out there, some of
> whihc included points and more info.
>
> Ray, don't you have one that you are using?

Sure, but not for exams.

Actually, even with no style sheet at all, the printout of an exam type
question includes the pts. in a little box... (I wish it didn't).

Maybe things work differently in 1.3 though.

:-)