[LON-CAPA-users] student forget passwords

Michael Dubson lon-capa-users@mail.lon-capa.org
Tue, 07 Sep 2004 13:35:07 -0600

We are having a slight problem with students who change and then forget
their password.  As I understand it, only domain coordinators (and not
course coordinators) have the power to reset passwords and no one has the
power to look up a current password.  Is this correct?

Would it not be good if.. ?
1) course coordinators could forbid some (or all) students from changing
their password.
2) course coordinators could reset passwords for their own course (after
all, should not a course coordinator be able to deal with all issues
pertaining to their own course?)
3) the domain coordinator could look up current passwords (or at the very
least, check when, if, and by whom a password has been reset) in order to
be able to reply to students who claim they never altered their password.

I am willing to hear counter-arguments.

thanks in advance, Mike

P.S. anyone have an answer to my earlier query re: formatting hardcopy of
Homework sets?

Michael Dubson, Senior Instructor
Dept. of Physics
University of Colorado at Boulder