[LON-CAPA-users] spreadsheets

Todd Ruskell lon-capa-users@mail.lon-capa.org
Mon, 11 Oct 2004 17:02:13 -0600

OK,

Come heck or high water, I do want to use the spreadsheets for my class this
semester.  I'm pretty sure I understand the basics, but there are some details
I need help with, the answers to some of which may be more appropriate
off-line, I'm not sure.

1) If I generate sample spreadsheets in a "Test Course" can I then move/use that
spreadsheet to/in my live course in a reasonable way?  This is desirable so
that I don't totally destroy the live course in my experimentation.

2) I have experimented some with the assessment spreadsheet to make it easier
for students to read, especially for external scores that have been uploaded.
Some observations/questions:
a) I can edit and save a spreadsheet with a different name, eg: exam_assesscalc
b) When I look at the spreadsheet for that resource later, it has reverted to
the previous version.
c) When I "Save as and Make this sheet the default" at the assessment level, and
then try to view it at the student level, the exported lines do not seem to get
refreshed, even if I "generate spreadsheet."  I seem to have to log out and
back in again for this to happen.  Is that true, or is it one of those caching
things?
e) When I make a sheet a default, it also seems to override the selection that
had been made for the spreadsheet of an individual problem on the student-level
sheet.
f) I assume that the pull-down boxes on the student-level sheet is to dictate
which spreadsheet to use for the exports of individual assesments, but as noted
above, it doesn't seem to stick.  Is there a better/different way to do this?
g) I haven't been able yet to determine if these pull-down boxes affect the
reporting of the grade for all students, or just the student shown.  Again, I
think I'm being bitten by a caching bug, but I'm not sure.

Thanks for all your help on this.

Todd

--
Dr. Todd G. Ruskell                         Phone: 303-384-2080
Lecturer, Department of Physics             FAX:   303-273-3919